Monday, August 5, 2013

August Currently & Back 2 School Goals

Have you ever noticed how late I am when it comes to posting my monthly currently's? I just can't seem to stay on top of them and post them on the first, but I do know that this is the earliest I've ever posted one. Go me! I've been so busy with our move, wedding, unpacking, and getting ready to go back to work that I thought it would be relaxing to spend some time doing a little post that doesn't require me to really think =D

Since this is my first time doing the monthly goals link up let's do it first.

I {Heart} Recess
 This linky is hosted by I Heart Recess. You can get to her blog by clicking the picture below. 



  1. Personal: Leave school stress at school. 
    • Last year, my first year of teaching, was probably the most stressful year of my life. I started at the end of October and was thrown into a situation that had absolutely no plan laid out, no materials/resources, and no one to turn to for support. As I finally started to get things under control I was asked to step in and help a teacher who was struggling and my situation changed again! I was put into a very though 3rd grade classroom and still had to meet all the requirements of my Title I position. I was so stressed out that I would come home crying most days of the week. My goal for this year is to not let it get to me as much and to leave all my stress at school! I don't want to burden my new husband with all of my work stress and I want to enjoy my home time without worrying about school. 
  2. Organization: Update data binder weekly. 
    • We are required to keep a data binder. I had never heard of this and didn't even know where to begin. Once I figured it all out I was pretty good about keeping it up to date (in the beginning) but then I realized that it was only going to get checked once a semester so I just stopped updating it and would try to throw it all together a day or so before my formal observation. This year I plan to take 1 day a week to make sure that I am keeping my binder up to date so that I will never have to worry about making sure it's ready when needed. 
  3. Planning: Max of 5 hours per week at home. 
    • I spent countless numbers of hours trying to plan at home last year. I literally didn't have a live outside of school. I would get home from school and start working on lessons, grading, and finding resources for my classroom. This year I am giving myself 5 hours or work time a week while at home! If I can't finish it at school then I can have an hour a day to work at home. I also plan to only work on lessons on the days that my husband is at work so that I don't interfere with our time together. So some days will have more allotted planning time while others days I will not work on school work at all. We'll see how long this goal last. 
  4. Professional: Get certified in middle grades math and science. 
    • I've been meaning to go take my state certification for middle grades since last May but I never got around to it. This year I plan to take the certification test for both of these subject areas, and maybe even reading (since I am a reading teacher), so that I can eventually apply to teach middle grades. 
  5. Students: To increase reading levels by one grade level. 
    • I teach 3rd - 5th grade students who are 2+ grade levels behind in reading; last year all of my student were a minimum of 3 grade levels behind. My goal for my students is to increase their reading levels by at least one grade level by the end of the school year! This is something that even the students can monitor and will be a great goal for them to have for themselves.
  6. Moto: "Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela 
    • How true is this quote? What other weapon do we, as educators, have to change the world? I became a teacher so that I could see a change in the world and so that I could help young lives realize that they are the sparks that will change our world! My students always ask me "But Miss. Banks, I'm just a kid, what can I do to make a difference?" or "Miss. Banks, why does it matter? I can't do anything." I plan to have this quote displayed in my classroom and to always refer to it when a child is doubting themselves or wants to know what they can to do make a difference. Although they are young, this is a quote that they will all be able to understand! 

Now let's jump into my August Currently, hosted by Farley from Oh' Boy, Fourth Grade... 



  1. Listening: The News. 
    • Do I really need to explain this one? lol. No, but I will tell you that over Summer Vacation I have come to have a must higher appreciation of the daily news! I watch it in the morning, I watch it at lunch, and I watch it before going to bed at night. I know it's the same stories all day long, but I love keeping up with what's going on in my community and the world around me. 
  2. Loving: My wonderful husband and our new married life together. 
  3.  
    • I got married on July 21 and I can't even begin to tell you how amazing the past 2 weeks have been! I've been with my husband for 5 years and finally tying the knot was amazing. I am so in love with this wonderful man and I love that we are finally able to really start our lives together as a married couple! He's the most amazing person I've ever met and I still can't believe that he's mine =D 
  4. Thinking: I can't believe that I go back to work tomorrow! 
    • Where the heck did my Summer go? Oh that's right, I spent my whole Summer vacation planning my wedding, trying to buy a house, packing, realizing that we didn't get our house, having to find an apartment, moving, and entertaining family. It was a crazy, exhausting, fun filled summer but I still can't believe that it's over. Can't I just have 1 more week to sleep in late and lay in bed reading all day? 
  5. Wanting: Summer to last a little longer.
    • Well you can see, from above, why I want an extension on my Summer vacation. Oh well, just 9 more months until Summer Vacation starts all over again =D 
  6. Needing: To go the grocery store, do laundry, and get ready for my first day back at work.
    • I've been very good about keeping up with all my wifely duties but I just can't bring myself to do them on my last day of Summer vacation. Would it be so wrong for me to just wait and do it all tomorrow after work? Yea, like that will happen! 
  7. B2S must haves:

    1. Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee! No need to explain; I'm sure all your teacher friends know the feeling. 
    2. Comfortable shoes! We aren't allowed to wear sneakers at my school so I'm in need of another good pair of comfortable work shoes. Last year I found these Keds Penny Loafers
       on sale for around $20. They were my favorite shoes. They are so comfortable!!! I wore these almost every day, but now they are worn out =( I need to find some more or find something that's just as comfy for this school year. 
    3. Lots of ink for my printer! We don't have printers at school and I always find amazing resources online. I've already finished off one thing of ink and I still have stuff that I want to print for B2S, Open House, Pre-Planning, and our 1st week back! 
What are you back to school goals? I can't wait to hear from you! 



3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the nuptials! I saw a Countdown to Summer on someone's blog today. It said something like 285:04:35 . I had to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gary! I don't even want to start the countdown yet because it will just make it seem to far away!

      Delete