Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Favorite Things... Read Alouds

WOW! Did I just blog twice in 1 week? It's been so long since I've had the time or energy to blog. I guess I'm finally getting into the hang of this mommy thing =D

Well, today I'm linking up with the Teaching Trio for their monthly Favorite Things linky.

Teaching Trio

For this linky you can pick any 3 of your favorite teaching things. I decided to focus on 3 of my favorite read alouds. I'm sure you will be very familiar with 2 of them but the 3rd is a story that I just discovered this past school year and fell in love with it! Be sure to check out each of these books, if you haven't already, and consider adding them to your classroom library.


1. Our Tree Named Steve:
I just discovered this beautiful picture book this year. It is a story of tree and the tree's family (human family). It talks about love, friendship, lose, and so much more. I can honestly say, while reading this story my class we were all in tears! It is such a beautiful story and I now you and your students will love reading it.

2. The Giving Tree:
This is a classic! The story of a boy who loved a tree and a tree who loved a boy. It talks about the relationship between giving and taking and how taking to much can hurt the ones you love. It's the story of what true love looks like (being willing to do anything for the person/thing that you love). We read this every year, multiple times, and I've never had a student who didn't enjoy the story. 

3. Bridge to Terabithia:
One of my favorite childhood chapter books. I remember my 5th grade teacher reading this book to our class and me falling in love with it. This is another story that talks about friendship, love, lose, and so much more! You can this book for literature circles, guided reading, a read aloud, or just introduce it and see which students will pick it up and start to read! 

There you go, three of my favorite read alouds! I hope you enjoyed this post and I can't wait to blog again soon! 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Shanon! I just found your blog and I am excited that I did. I have been a special education teacher for the past 19 years and now in the fall I will be a title I reading teacher for first grade. Looking forward to looking around your site!

    ReplyDelete